Afghan Refugee Resettlement Programs:
Afghan Citizens Resettlement Scheme (ACRS) UK:
UK recently started Afghan Citizens resettlement scheme when the Taliban took over Afghanistan and formed their own government. ACRS scheme was started on January 6, 2022. This scheme will prioritize those:
- Who have assisted the UK efforts in Afghanistan
- Who are vulnerable people such as women, girls or minority groups
The government will resettle more than 5,000 people in the first year and up to 20,000 over the coming years. Anyone who is resettled through ARCS pathway will receive indefinite leave to enter or remain (ILR) in the UK and will be able to apply for British citizenship after 5 years in the UK.
US Humanitarian Parole Program:
Immigration Advisory Services (IAS) provides free legal help to some refugees and displaced people, especially of Afghanistan.
There are two conditions for this visa:
- Have a sponsor in the US, who will assist them in applying for Humanitarian Parole
- Who face urgent humanitarian needs
Humanitarian Parole lets people enter the U.S. temporarily because they are in danger, need medical treatment, or for other urgent reasons. Most applications are rejected. The U.S. government approves Humanitarian Parole requests only where people have no other legal option to enter the U.S.
Examples where Humanitarian Parole may be appropriate include:
- Someone who needs life-saving medical treatment only available in the U.S.
- Someone who has a family member in the U.S, cannot get a U.S. visa, and is in danger.
Important Things to Know:
- Anyone can apply for Humanitarian Parole, including a person outside the U.S.
- Entry into the U.S. is temporary. The maximum parole period is 365 days.
- After you enter the U.S., you can apply for another immigration status, including by filing for asylum. If you are not successful, you may be required to leave the U.S.
Canada’s Afghan Refugee Resettlement Humanitarian Program:
The Canadian government first announced this humanitarian program on August 14, 2021 after the Taliban takeover of Afghanistan that they will resettle 20,000 Afghan nationals in Canada, but later they doubled the figure to 40,000.
To be eligible for this program you must meet all of the following requirements:
- You’re an Afghan national
- You’re outside of Afghanistan
- You don’t have a durable solution in a third country and
- You’re part of one of the following groups:
- women leaders
- human right defenders
- persecuted religious or ethnic minorities
journalists and those who helped Canadian journalists